We Now Have Pages!

Click one of the links below for more information from the Newman family.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Honoring Mark's Father

Mark and Matt paid such tribute sto Buddy on Saturday during his funeral service. I wanted to share with you what a great man Mr. Newman was and thought that Mark's words would tell the story...

My father – the finest man I have ever known, a man of uncompromising principles, character and faith. As I reflect upon the life that you lived I am reminded that you truly lived your life to fullest. There is a hole in my heart that will never be filled until I see you again in all the glory of Heaven. But Dad, you chartered your life’s journey rooted in a calling upon your life from our God at an early age. Here are my reflections of the man that God entrusted me to:


Dad – You invested your life and ministry at our church for 32 years? From an outsider’s perspective it can’t possibly be apparent as to why. But you cared and ministered to this church family (and others through the years) as if it were your own. I always saw you mold your life and its direction by examining and discerning God’s will for you and your family. That is the foundation upon which you chose to build your life. It sustained you and transcended to me.


I am reminded of true character and commitment when I think of your life and specifically your life’s work and ministry here. I’m reminded of all of the sacrifices that you made so that you could participate in my life. I am reminded of your involvement with all aspects of my life – from little league to school to my career. You always had an open ear, yet your often unassuming character prevented you from forcing your advice on me. I hope that I have expressed in action and word how your impact shaped the man I am today.


It was simply never about you. It was always about your family and your church. You pursued your work and ministry with a passion for excellence yet it never was rooted in personal gain. You taught me that nothing is worth doing if you can’t do it the best of your ability, and well, right, of course! I know of your deep love for the people of this church – both current and past. They are interwoven into the fabric of your being. This was your family yet I always knew, and still know, that God and family occupied first place. Your humble nature would not allow you to revel in your accomplishments but I hope to give just a glimpse today of the man that shaped my life.


You created a legacy at this church. An example of leadership, commitment and character that is worthy of honor. Yet as I stand here today, and reflected upon your life in the prior days, I know that you would only desire that the honor be given back to God and in no way be centered on your person. Just know that you lived a life that is reflective of your deep and unending faith. Thank you for teaching me and modeling a life that “loves the Lord thy God with all thy heart, mind and soul.”


As I look back, I can see how my life has been shaped by your example.


I remember…UT football and Braves baseball games, little league games, basketball games in junior high and high school, or just a quick phone call from you to say “Son, I am thinking of you.” Most importantly I just remember you being around. From school events to late night homework to the birth of my children…. I can’t remember an event in my life that you weren’t present…For that, I say, “Thank you.”


We weathered a few storms together and I just want you to know that I appreciate your influence on me. Often sons seek to distance themselves from their parents in an effort to establish their own identity. Well, my identity and character are the embodiment of the man that was my Dad. For which I am humbled and grateful to have been able to share my life with you.


It gives me great privilege to honor you today. It is with much pride and adoration for you that I say, “Your son, now and forever, I am..”


I love you, until we meet again…


Grammy and Buddy with all of their grandchildren - Thanksgiving 2009

post signature

No comments: