It is still kind of bizarre to be back. Nora, my mom and I were in such a routine. I know that mom misses us already. She probabaly doesn't miss the 2 a.m. feeding though! Just kidding - my mom was such a huge help with the baby. I don't know how she did it all. None of us were getting enough rest between hospital visits and lack of sleep.
It was really hard to leave my daddy. It seems like every time we visited (you can only go into ICU for 30 minutes, 5 times a day), he would either be doing ok and not so great. I feel like we are constantly on a rollercoaster. They were hoping to take him off of the respirator yesterday, but he had a fever and was too weak. Plus, they had found an infection on his mitrovalve that leads to his heart. Hopefully the six week course on antibiotics will take the infection away. The last visit I had with dad was pretty hard. I saw him at 2 p.m. on Saturday before we had to finish packing and head to the airport. He was awake and able to look me in the eyes. He also was able to nod, so I know that he understood that I had to leave. That still didn't make it any easier. I tried not to cry, but that doesn't seem to be possible these days. It was really hard to walk away.
Isn't it amazing how God provides at the most important times? Just a few minutes after I walked out of ICU, our friends from Birmingham, Allan, Valerie and their cutie pie son Carter, walked in the door. They had driven down to see us and pray for my dad. How amazing is that?!? I think I am still in shock from Allan's phone call the day before telling me that they were coming. Wow! Valerie is about to give birth in a week and they still came! Anyway, it was so great to see them and catch up. I wish that Mark had been there too. He and Allan have been friends since they were in high school. Before they headed back to Birmingham, we all held hands and Allan said a sweet prayer for my daddy. Whoa ... that is all that I can say.
Mom calls Jeff and me after every visit when we aren't there to give us an update on dad. What a trooper she is! Thank goodness for all of the support we have received from our pastors, friends and family. I had so many people tell me that they are going to be there to support her since I had to leave. That makes me feel better, but I still wish that I was there.
I am heading back to work tomorrow morning after being gone for 3 months. Talk about reality hitting you in the face. UGH! Tomorrow is going to be a hard day. The Sutherland's are opening their house to Nora for their nanny to watch her for the next five weeks until she begins going to Prince of Peace. I know that she will be loved on by Kathy, Jennifer and Elizabeth, but it is still going to be hard. Hopefully I can make it there for a lunchtime visit!








3 comments:
We are praying for your Dad Leslie. What a tough time this is for you right now. I remember going back to work after Caden was born. It was very hard and I sympathize. Nora sounds like she will be in wonderful hands. We will continue praying & thinking about you all.
Yes, you have a double whammy!!! We are praying for you, your family, and your Daddy! What a blessing to know that Nora will be loved on at Kathy's. That seems to have worked out perfectly. Today is the hardest day and I promise it gets easier as time passes...take it one day at a time!
I'm praying for you guys, my friend. Welcome back to Texas. I was glad to see that Miss Nora will be well watched while y'all are hard at work.
Post a Comment